Monday, April 21, 2014

DAY 111 - COUNTING DOWN TO THE 50TH

GOOD MORNING, CLASS OF '64

Sleeping Girl - Daniel Gerhartz
 
Sleeping Together
 
Katherine Mansfield
 
Sleeping together... how tired you were...
How warm our room... how the firelight spread
On walls and ceiling and great white bed!
We spoke in whispers as children do,
And now it was I--and then it was you
Slept a moment, to wake--"My dear,
I'm not at all sleepy," one of us said....

Was it a thousand years ago?
I woke in your arms--you were sound asleep--
And heard the pattering sound of sheep.
Softly I slipped to the floor and crept
To the curtained window, then, while you slept,
I watched the sheep pass by in the snow.

O flock of thoughts with their shepherd Fear
Shivering, desolate, out in the cold,
That entered into my heart to fold!

A thousand years... was it yesterday
When we two children of far away,
Clinging close in the darkness, lay
Sleeping together?... How tired you were....
 
Sleeping Girl - Pietro Antonio
Is there a song out there somewhere with your name on it? Have you been the apple of someone's eye, and had them pour their heart out to you in a song? If you didn't, you should have!
 
Girls have inspired many lovesick songwriters. They wrote their words of love in a song and titled it with the name of the object of their affection. Every girl should have their name on a song. (Actually, sometimes the name was chosen just because it sounded good.)
 
Peggy Sue, Diana, Laura, and Paula - even Patricia have given their names to songwriter's creativity. Are you a Mary, a Judy, a Carol, a Cathy, a Donna, or a Molly? There's a song written for you. Hello, Mary Lou and Rhonda, Charlotte, Cindy, Linda, Sally, Lucille, Maria, Marie, Nadine, Nancy, and Susie - are you out of breath, yet? Goodnight, Irene.
 
Check these lists.
Maybe you'll find your name there.



The Sleeping Spinner - Gustave Courbet
Peggy Sue
 Originally called "Cindy Lou".
#3 on the Billboard Top 100 chart in 1957.
Currently ranked as the 106th greatest song of all time, and the third best song of 1957, by Acclaimed Music
In 1999, National Public Radio included
"Peggy Sue" on the NPR 100,
a list of "The 100 most important American
musical works of the 20th century".
Inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1999.
 Ranked #194 on the Rolling Stone
magazine's 2004 list of
The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time
Buddy Holly - 1957
 There is a time for many words,
 and there is also a time for sleep.
Homer

Sleeping Girl With Cat - Renoir
Hello, Mary Lou
 Issued as the B-side of his
No. 1 hit "Travelin' Man",
Reached No. 9 on the
Billboard music charts on
May 28, 1961 
Ricky Nelson - 1961
Now I see the secret of the making
 of the best persons.
It is to grow in the open air and
to eat and sleep with the earth.
Walt Whitman
Sleeping Beauty - Edward Frederick Brutenall
Wake Up Little Susie
 Reached number one on the Billboard Pop chart
 and the Cash Box Best Selling Records chart,
despite having been banned from Boston
radio stations for lyrics that, at the time,
were considered suggestive.
Spent seven weeks atop the Billboard country chart
Ranked at #311 on the Rolling Stone magazine's
list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.
(Said to be President George W. Bush's favorite song.)
The Everly Brothers - 1957
 
Twenty Gallons of Sleep 
 
Agnes Louise Storrie

MEASURE me out from the fathomless tun
That somewhere or other you keep
In your vasty cellars, O wealthy one,
Twenty gallons of sleep.


Twenty gallons of balmy sleep,
Dreamless, and deep, and mild,
Of the excellent brand you used to keep
When I was a little child.

I've tasted of all your vaunted stock,
Your clarets and ports of Spain,
The liquid gold of your famous hock,
And your matchless dry champagne.

Of your rich muscats and your sherries fine,
I've drunk both well and deep;
Then measure me out, O merchant mine,
Twenty gallons of sleep.

Twenty gallons of slumber soft,
Of the innocent, baby kind,
When the angels flutter their wings aloft
And the pillow with down is lined.

I have drawn the corks, and drained the lees,
Of every vintage pressed;
If I've felt the sting of my honey bees,
I've taken it with the rest.

I have lived my life, and I'll not repine;
As I sowed I was bound to reap;
Then measure me out, O merchant mine,
Twenty gallons of sleep. 


Girl With Coffee Grinder - Carl Hofer - 1954
Blessed is the person who is
too busy to worry in the daytime
and too sleepy to worry at night.
Anonymous
 
Sleep - Connie Chadwell

1 comment:

  1. In 1963 Jimmy Holiday sang a song "Janet" I cut it out and gave it to Danny ..He still has that little piece of paper and carries in in his wallet REALLY he does..JMC

    ReplyDelete