Monday, July 28, 2014

DAY 15 - COUNTING DOWN TO THE 50TH

Good Morning, Class of '64
Kallan - Sandra England - http://www.portstanleyartguild.com/gallery/240

Live your everyday extraordinary!
 Charles F. Glassman
Brain Drain The Breakthrough 
That Will Change Your Life

We have one precious life: 
do something extraordinary today, 
even if it's tiny. 
A pebble starts the avalanche.
K.A. Laity

...I don't just wish you rain, Beloved -
I wish you the beauty of storms...
John Geddes
A Familiar Rain


When we were young in the mountains and big rains poured from the sky we sometimes sat in the porch swing and watched it come down. We would stretch out our arms to the edge of the porch roof and cup our hands to catch the dripping water and make miniature waterfalls.  Sometimes we just wanted to feel the wet of the rain bounce onto our hands and bounce off again. 

When we were young in the mountains we would watch the rain as it exploded on the tar patched road like thousands of volcanoes erupting at the same time. Traveling to town or back home, the wheels of passing cars would force fans of rain water into the air and onto the sidewalks that used to be there - they have been gone for a long time now. If by chance we were walking along, and couldn't get out of the way fast enough, our legs became road dirt wet.

When we were young in the mountains, mud puddles attracted us like robins to worms. Always barefoot, we would splash through every dip in the ground that created small ponds for our feet. We sought them out and stomped and splashed, sometimes making mud puddles where grass had lived before.

When we were young in the mountains big rains didn't have to ruin our day. Sometimes the big rains that came made a typical day extraordinary.


Garden in the Rain
Reached the Billboard magazine
Best Seller chart and
lasted 7 weeks on the chart,
peaking at #14.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Garden_in_the_Rain
Four Aces - 1950

RAIN
I opened my eyes
And looked up at the rain.
And it dripped in my head
And flowed into my brain,
And all that I hear as I lie in my bed
Is the slishity-slosh of the rain in my head.


I step very softly,
I walk very slow,
I can’t do a handstand-
I might overflow,
So pardon the wild crazy thing I just said-
I’m just not the same since there’s rain in my head.

Shel Silverstein
  Where the Sidewalk Ends: 
The Poems and Drawings of Shel Silverstein 

Rainy Day Just Daddy and Me - Laurie Shanholtzer
It never failed to amaze me how 
the most ordinary day could be 
catapulted into the extraordinary 
in the blink of an eye.
Jodi Picoult
Handle with Care
  

 Never dance in a puddle when 
there's a hole in your shoe 
(it's always best to take 
your shoes off first).
John D. Rhodes

When I Was Young in the Mountains
Cynthia Rylant
The book was awarded a 
Caldecott Honor Medal
and earned an 
Christy Jordan
SouthernPlate.com
 
The summer sun was not
meant for boys like me.
Boys like me belonged to the rain.

Benjamin Alire Sáenz
Aristotle and Dante Discover
the Secrets of the Universe
 

Boy Playing in Rain Water - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment